Saturday, September 02, 2006

My own bed

This week has been my first as a student teacher. The kids don't start until next week, but we have been having meetings and setting up classrooms (everyone had to move for the small-schools layout that was begun this year) etc. I like my cooperating teacher quite a bit, and the school as a whole seems great. Everyone gets along and is friendly, which is very nice.


Last weekend, we went to the coast for Chile's wedding. She wanted a 'tropical' beach wedding, all bright colors and sunshine and Hawaii. Unfortunately, it was socked in with the fog the whole weekend, which I loved (such a romantic atmoshpere!) but she was disappointed with it. A few miles in either direction, it was bright sunshine, but our beach was foggy the whole time. It was also cold - about 30 degrees cooler than in town. Mr. Duck and I had checked the weather and packed jeans and jackets, but no-one else had taken the forcast seriously, so there were some chilly looking folk there. After the wedding, some guests, of questionable sanity, decided that it was simply ridiculous to go to the beach, and not swim. I tried very hard to convince them of how cold the water is here, but severa of them stripped down and jumped in anyway. And then came out bluish.

Chile looked beautiful, and the wedding went well, and Chef was handsome in his tux.

I made the mistake of asking a friend of the bride to take pics with my camera, without reminding her to get a few pics of me. So she used my entire roll, and got me only in a couple group shots before the ceremony. She got pics of her friends with the bride, and her friends coming down the isle, but none of me, and not a single one of Mr Duck, which is disappointing because he looked very handsome in his new tie. And I didn't have another roll, so I got nothing of the cake cutting, or toast, or first dance, or anything. A mistake I won't repeat. But here is the bridal party,


Everyone was very beautiful. I look really tall here, but it's the slope of the path. I swear.

You can't see it here, but some of us were suuuuper tired that day. We were all sharing a few rental cottages, and the best man was in mine. The guy, while very nice, has some crazy sleeping disorder, that his doctor hasn't taken seriously. He snored like a freight train, but I got used to that and fell asleep. About 3 am, we were woken up by shouting downstairs. At first, I thought there was a fight or someting, but it was just this one guy, and was rythmic, and really loud. Loud enough they could probably hear it nextdoor. He would scream with every breath for abut 10 minutes, then go through a couple strange breathing patterns for another 10 minutes, then start yelling again. This lasted over an hour. The groom tried to wake him, but the best man fought back, and slept the whole time. Unlike the rest of the house.

When I got up the next day, and went downstairs looking for coffee, he was still sleeping on the couch, and was kicking in his sleep. And still snoring. Maybe it's an old wive's tale, but I had always understood that the way to stop someone from snoring was to roll them onto their sides. I did not know until this last weekend that it is possible for a human to snore while sleeping on their side or stomach. But it is. I saw it with my own eyes. The guy said he had told his doctor that he wasn't sleeping through the night, and that his dog wouldn't sleep on the bed anymore, but the doctor had just poo-pooed him. We all told the guy to have the doc call us, 'cause we could describe his sleep patterns in detail, and it's not normal. The guy felt pretty bad at having ruined our sleep, but we were all too tired and grouchy to do the whole 'oh, it's OK' thing for him.

Never been happier to sleep in my own, lovely, bed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

You guys look great in those pictures! I was on the WA coast this weekend and experienced the same cold, foggy weather. Yuck!

Unfortunately, I was married to a snorer and found out that the trick actually works to roll them over -- and then put a pillow over your head (I still sleep with one, even though I'm by myself).

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steph! The pictures are gorgeous! I so wish I could have been there.

The office will be much more boring with you and Kim gone. Though we are getting Clay, and he can talk almost as much as you and/or Kim.

Hope teaching is going well!

I can't handle snorers. You are a a stronger woman than I. At least he didn't fart in his sleep I guess.

Oh, and Bruno is back!

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home